Friday, May 3, 2013

Wipe and Wash and Dry

We're potty training!  Aubrey has had ZERO interest in using the potty.  I thought she would given that she has an older sister.  But nope, she's so happy being her little independent self wearing diapers.  I decided that the "Three Day Method" would work best for her and that we would have to switch to panties full on to get her to cue in to her body.  It's been a long three days with lots of laundry!

Day 1
I was ready!  Stickers, charts, M&Ms, outdoor projects, the timer on my trusty iTouch, and Tinkerbell panties picked out by the sweet miss herself.  Aubrey was game to have our "special day."  After her morning class, we went and got great big sodas (encouraging lots of fluid) and came home to put on panties.   By dinner time, I was so disheartened.  We had gone through 7 pair of panties (and outfits) and had zero successes.  Then finally, it clicked a little for her.  She went in the potty FINALLY!  Kiley and I hooped and hollered and made such a fuss.  YES!

Day 2
Aubrey wasn't so excited about panties anymore.  The only way I got them on her was when I promised a special present (a Thomas the Train) that I had at the ready should I need it.  She didn't like me asking/reminding her every 15-20 minutes about the bathroom.  She got frustrated.  The stickers and chart were no longer a motivator.  A twist of the M&M machine was still a fun reward for successes.  Most of her successes, started out as accidents, but we'll count them as a move in the right direction.

Day 3
She cried this morning when I asked her to sit on the toilet.  "No like potty!  No like pee pee in potty!  No thank you panties!  No thank you!"  I promised her that if she would try her panties for a couple of hours this morning, we would take a break for a couple of hours to go to the park with some friends.  I put her in a pull-up and off we went.  Today I'm trying to be more aware of her cues instead of asking her to go so frequently.  She went twice while at the park.  HURRAY!  Don't give up Melissa!

Day 5 (update)
Aubrey is doing super.  She signals when she needs to go to the bathroom.  Hugs and cheers are enough of a reward.  We spent the day at the zoo yesterday and she used the public restroom 4 times while there.  She's been in a pull-up the past couple of days just because of being out and about.  She will be spending more time in panties this week when at home.  We still have a ways to go, but we have made one giant leap.  GO AUBREY!!!

2 comments:

Kim H. said...

I say Go Melissa!!! I remember my first day with my youngest. When David got home I was sitting on the floor of the bathroom crying. So happy for you!

The Lamb's said...

Nice job Aubrey! And of course Melissa :) It's never fun, but it sure is great when it's over! Keep up the great work!