Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Fall Fun... Or is it the Fleecing of New England?

I love fall in New England.  I love the colors, the cooler weather, the seasonal goodies, apple picking... I love it all.  But I discovered this year that I had to have the $$$ conversation with Kiley more than I would like to.  An $8 horse ride, $3 for a turn in a moonbounce, $6 for a small pumpkin just because it has Hello Kitty painted on it, $10 for face-painting, $15 for carnival rides... the list goes on and on!  And my child wants to do it all.  But, I'm the type of parent who thinks I wouldn't be doing a good job as a parent if I said yes to it all.  So we made choices, and she wasn't very happy with me for some of them (why pay $8 to ride a horse for a matter of minutes... I've had her in Kanab where she could ride them for free at Uncle Cody's)!  Oh, and the face-painting?  She won on that one.  I was informed while standing in line that it cost $6 (which I thought was a bit much for something that would be washed off in a matter of hours, but hey, that's just me), only to find out afterwards that it was really $10.  Cha-ching!
But as I was telling my parents about it they simply asked, "But was she just so happy?"  And the answer to that is yes, yes she was SOOO happy. 


I realize that the concept of money is a bit beyond a four-year old's scope.  Am I cheap?  Am I overly sensitive to sticker shock?  How do others deal with these situations?  I wish every ounce of happiness imaginable for my child, but I don't want a price tag or an item acquired to drive bliss.  I'm learning that it's not always easy to say "no."  I suppose as parents, we need to make sure we balance buying things, with happy and fun moments that come without a price tag.  Instead of buying the Hello Kitty pumpkin, we went home and painted one ourselves. 

Baby Update: This will probably be my last post for a few weeks.  My parents are due to arrive in a few days, and baby will come shortly thereafter.  I pray for a safe and healthy arrival for this little one.  We are so anxious to meet her. 

4 comments:

Kim H. said...

Was that the Apple fest? I skipped this year just for that reason. I always spend way to much, then I resent that, and its no good. But, I'm sure I will give in next year.

Kristin said...

Thanks for the nice post. We would love to see you sometime. Education Weeks would be great. The CT girls pic was Women's Conference. I didn't go since they don't allow nursing baby's, but I met up for lunch. Bethany spoke. I wish I could have heard her. As for the money thing we just went though that yesterday when my 8 year old wanted me to go buy her a beach cruiser (bike), RIGHT NOW, eventhough she has a perfectly good bike and her b-day was just 3 weeks ago. I was the meanest mom since every other mom had bought their child a beach cruiser. Which somehow I don't totally believe. Anyways... Excited to see the new Gallagher, best of luck.

Kristin said...

P.S. $10 for face painting is waaaaaaaaay too expensive. ouch.

Melissa B. said...

Good luck with your baby! I can't wait to hear all about her.