
I can breath better in the small town where I grew up. It's warmer, the horizon is as far as the eye can see, and I love to breath it in as deeply as I possibly can. Kiley and I got back a few days ago from spending 2 weeks with my family. I tried to jot down some memories of our time there, but lost half of them... so I'm trying to remember to the best of my ability. So check back in a week or so - this list may grow.
1. Baths are funner when Grandma gives them.
2. "Chips Ahoo" (Chips A'Hoy) cookies are better than homemade chocolate chip cookies in Kiley's world.
3. Kiley likes Taylor Swift (admittedly, it may be in part because I told her it was Hannah Montana).
4. While I've always thought of myself as fairly technically-proficient, I am admitting here in writing that I am fully technically challenged when it comes to webcams. I really need to figure them out so we can visit and see each other!
5. For my child who is growing up in the lush green of New England, I'm learning that the wide open areas and topography of Southern Utah leave room for much imagination. On a drive to St. George, I pointed out horses and cows. Then, Kiley says, "I see elephants!" Elephants? To the eyes of my soon-to-be-three-year-old, the occassional juniper tree amidst the brush looks like an elephant. I can see it. If I squint (see pic #2).
6. The big "D" on the mountain in St. George for "Dixie" actually means "Daddy" according to Kiley.
7. I can be taught. I don't pick up so quickly on the Wii, but my sister did teach me how to play a good game of real pool. Sticks, q-balls, chalk, real pool. Won't Kullen be impressed?
8. I know how to make 4 women whom I have never met cry. How do you ask? Let them witness Kiley running full-speed to jump in to the arms of her Grandpa, suitcase in tow, screaming "My Grandpa! My Grandpa!" It happened. And the tears fell.
9. I had another birthday while in Kanab. Birthdays in my 20's never bothered me much. But I'm not loving my 30's. Which is odd because I love where I am in life.
10. Zion National Park always takes my breath away. I spent so much of my youth in that park. I went on my first hike there with my daughter. How's that for full circle?
11. It CAN snow, rain, and sunshine all at the same time.
12. I have learned that if I should ever go through the Junction drive-through again to get milkshakes and Kiley says she doesn't want one, it really means that she does. I didn't know this before, and therefor didn't order her a milkshake when I should have (silly mom). Believe me, she let me know that I was in the wrong for the next hour by way of kicks and screams. I will never choose wrong again.
We always love our time in Kanab. It's getting even more fun as I see Kiley start to enjoy it and interact with my family. We're happy to be back home in CT - albeit it 14 degrees, icy and snowy. I will be so happy to see the first signs of my crocuses pushing up to welcome in spring.
Check out my sister's blog, Yates University, for more pictures of our time in Southern Utah.
5 comments:
IVORY!!!
Hey sweet woman! I just want to tell you again how much I enjoyed myself while visiting you this week! It was awesome to see YOU in YOUR home with YOUR family! You are an amazing mother! Kiley is a BEAUTIFUL and VERY smart girl, I got a kick out of every conversation we had!!! Oh, I don't know if I gave you the memo:
Kiley: Do you have Tinkerbell?
Jen-Jen: No...
Kiley: Oh, well then I'll buy her for you
So, I guess that will go on her tab. (just like all the cloths and books she buys) I'd like to get that Tinkerbell sooner than later, I could use a little vacation to Never-Never Land! You can come too! :-) She's sooo CUTE!!
Thanks for letting drop in on such short notice, I know it wasn't easy being gone for 2 weeks and than have me show up for a few days. BFF BABE! You're awesome!!
Love you! And send my love to the family!
I am so happy you got to see your family. what a change of scenery! Like always we are trying to get to New England this spring. We'll see if it happens. Our friends really want to see Boston. I told Kevin I NEED to visit my old stomping grounds for my 30th. We are hitting our 4th year in Utah. It makes me want to cry. It is starting to feel like our CT days were a long time ago. I would love to go do that garden/kitchen tour again, wasn't that fun?
Sounds like you had a wonderful trip.
Oh, and Happy (belated) Birthday.
Melissa, I hadn't bopped into your blog in awhile and I was so happy to read of your adventures in Kanab. I even went back to see the picture of the elephant, I didn't even have to squint. As my girls and I will always say "There's No Place Like Home"
Janice Martin (Moscow Russia
How are you doing?! I found your blog while I was visiting Melissa's blog. It is SO good to see you. Your daughter is so beautiful. Sounds like you had a great trip too! Our blog is private these days, but if you're interested I can send you an invite. You can email me at mamaboo78@comcast.net
Post a Comment