So yesterday at about 4:30pm, I got this great idea to pack a picnic and head down to the shore. After going the wrong way and adding about 20 minutes to our drive time, we hit the worst downpour. We're talking cars pulled over, emergency flashers on, downpour. Some small tornadoes were actually confirmed in the good ol' state of CT a couple of days ago, so we've had some pretty decent storms (note the dark clouds in some of the pictures). So then comes the debate: do we turn around and head back towards home? Or do we press on in hopes that the sky is clear at the shore? I chose the latter, and we wound up having a really nice evening.
There was one stretch of time when walking the beach that Kiley decided she had to use the bathroom. So our choice was to walk further down the beach to the closer of the restroom facilities, or to walk a greater distance the other way, but closer to the car. This kid walked alot lastnight. I got giggling to myself a little bit over the commentary.
My feet hurt.
I have sand in my shoes.
I'm thirsty.
I have to go to the potty.
The waves are going to get me.
I don't have a dog.
I am NOT winning. (one of Kiley's latest games is to always have to be in the lead and scream, "I'm winning! I'm winning!" For those who are Charlie and Lola fans... this is done in true Lola fashion.)
I am NOT winning. (one of Kiley's latest games is to always have to be in the lead and scream, "I'm winning! I'm winning!" For those who are Charlie and Lola fans... this is done in true Lola fashion.)
And I think to myself: How did the pioneers do it? All that walking with little ones? How did they keep them entertained, slightly distracted, and with their eye on the prize that was ever so distant?
To cap off our evening, we were able to see both the sunset and a rainbow over Long Island Sound. Small moments that make you appreciate and cherish the bigger picture of life.
3 comments:
David wanted to go the to shore last night, we opted for swimming instead...call next time you go! The storms have been really crazy!
Gorgeous pictures.
And I love the Kiley commentary.
Maybe the pioneers sang a lot. And then sang extra loud to drown out kids complaints.
Or just a marathon game of "I Spy".
Great pictures. I miss the coast. Kiley's pictures are so cute. I love the ice cream ones. The little curl in the middle of her head is so cute. You are so good at getting her pictures taken. Wish we were there to hang out on the beach.
Post a Comment